Monday, October 3, 2016

Journal 1 Blog Post: Chapter 1-3

Robbins, J. N. (2012). Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Web Graphics. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly.
Reflection: Prior to reading I felt I had a basic understanding of web design and common terms, such as web designer and HTML. As I started reading, instantly in the first few pages I realized how little I truly did know and understand. Robbins hit the nail on the head stating, “It may seem like there is a mountain of stuff to learn, and it’s not easy to know where to jump.” This was exactly my thought when deciding to go into the Educational Multimedia program. Much like a teacher, a web designer has many different roles and responsibilities, but also has areas of specialty. As I read through these first few chapters, I feel that Robbins gave a very detailed, but simple background and it has put me at some ease. One of my “’ah-ha” moments was when Robbins discussed the difference between the internet and the web, while I knew they were not the same, I was unsure of how and why they were different. The other major “ah-ha” moment and connection that came to me was accessibility. Robbins discussed the importance of all users being able to access and utilize the web. This is a major component in teaching itself and makes sense that it would also be of high importance in web design. While I am still a bit nervous about taking on web design, I know that this will only better my teaching and communication with students and families.    
Q1: How do I plan to use this technology in my classroom? 

A1: I would like to create a webpage that is accessible and easy to use for my very young students and their parents. I want to provide more opportunities for students and parents to bring classroom learning home in a more engaging way.
Q2: How can I ensure that all of my students and their families have access to my webpage? 

A2: This is a major concern for me. I am teaching in a low-income area and I know many of my students and their families have access to some kind of technology, it is just a wide array of devices. One thought I had was how am I supposed to make my webpage so that all the content is there for my students, even if the look of it is different. Robbins was able to touch on this issue when she discussed responsive web design and that has given me an idea of how to envision and create my webpage.

4 comments:

  1. I was also concerned about making my web page available to all types devices. I was also glad that Robbins discussed responsive web design in chapter 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about the user is a big part of having a successful product. You mentioned connecting to "all users" which focuses on the over all accessibility of the site. This truly makes for a great site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your plan to use technology in the classroom is a great idea! I know that there are not very many websites out there that are easy for young students to navigate, especially when they are asked to learn something new. Let me know how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber,
    I appreciate how you want to make your webpage accessible to everyone, as it is very important to give the same opportunities to all of our students. I am also concerned about this and want to make sure that students can access it on a variety of devices. Technology is the future, and we need to use it to our benefit!

    ReplyDelete